Improving Healthcare Decisions
ISPOR is dedicated to improving healthcare decision making. We believe that every healthcare decision should be informed by the best scientific research. Toward that goal, the Society’s mission is to promote health economics and outcomes research excellence to improve decision making for health globally.
ISPOR—The Professional Society for Health Economics and Outcomes Research
ISPOR—the professional society for health economics and outcomes research (HEOR)—is an international, multistakeholder, nonprofit organization. The Society is the leading source for scientific conferences, peer-reviewed and MEDLINE®-indexed publications, good practices guidance, education, collaboration, and tools/resources in the HEOR field.
The Global HEOR Community
As the field of HEOR has grown in importance, ISPOR’s community has expanded to more than 20,000 individual and chapter members from 110+ countries worldwide. The Society’s membership includes a wide variety of healthcare stakeholders, including researchers and academicians, assessors and regulators, payers and policy makers, the life sciences industry, healthcare providers, and patient engagement organizations. The Society has served as an unbiased resource and catalyst for innovation in the field for more than 20 years.
Strategic Objectives and Goals
The Society’s strategic platform—ISPOR Strategic Plan 2016-2020: Promoting Excellence in Health Economics and Outcomes Research—was developed by its Strategic Planning Working Group.1
Scientific and Research Excellence
ISPOR is committed to strengthening the integrity, advancement, understanding, and use of health economics and outcomes research among researchers, health technology developers and assessors, regulators, health economists, healthcare policy makers, payers, providers, patients, populations, and society.
- Encourage the ongoing development and improvements in methods and tools in health economics and outcomes research and gain acceptance of their use in research and decision making.
- Monitor developments in health technology and health policy to improve research methods and applications.
- Leverage innovations in relevant disciplines and industries to strengthen health economics and outcomes research.
- Produce journals, reports, publications, and meetings recognized for high quality scientific content and information on evolving trends.
- Encourage access, appropriate use, and an understanding of opportunities and limitations of healthcare data to inform healthcare decisions.
- Recognize scientific and research excellence.
Through its worldwide membership and stakeholder groups, ISPOR has access to the ideas, knowledge, skills, and experiences that enable achievement of its mission. ISPOR offers membership benefits that are valued and essential in members' professional growth.
- Support global networks, special interest groups, task forces, chapters, and virtual communities that stimulate communications and collaboration among members.
- Facilitate information sharing, collaboration, and consensus building to provide member professional development.
- Provide opportunities for interaction and idea sharing among members and stakeholders.
- Empower members to be effective communicators of health economics and outcomes research to diverse audiences.
- Foster the development of future leaders through student networks, career opportunities, and educational offerings.
- Recognize member contributions to ISPOR's mission.
Education and Training
Knowledge and skill building are at the core of the ISPOR mission. ISPOR will lead efforts to strengthen and expand capabilities in health economics and outcomes research.
- Lead the development of focused education and training programs in health economics and outcomes research.
- Deliver high quality educational opportunities through meetings, programs, tools, and publications.
Communication and Collaboration
ISPOR will be a valued and reliable resource for translating knowledge into practice for decision makers and stakeholders, who include members, providers, payers, patients, professional societies, foundations, health authorities, the media, and others.
- Convene discussions that shape the future and drive consensus and knowledge building.
- Engage stakeholders through summits, roundtables, meetings, social media, and other channels.
- Develop collaborative networks to extend knowledge and advance science-based research and practices.
- Facilitate the translation of health economics and outcomes research to promote understanding and use in decision making.
ISPOR embraces a core set of values that are at the center of every strategic focus area:
- Promote the production and dissemination of high quality health economics and outcomes research to inform effective development and efficiency of healthcare.
- Embrace consideration of patient, provider, and payer perspectives in research design and analysis.
- Cultivate professional ethical standards.
- Strengthen the Society through encouragement and acceptance of diverse ideas, cultures and disciplines.
- Maintain transparency in association governance and financial practices.
- Utilize the input of members and stakeholders to make informed decisions concerning organizational strategy and governance.
- Ensure the Society's financial sustainability through fiscal responsibility.
- Strive for excellence in everything that we do, and continuously seek innovative ways to improve our work.
1 ISPOR’s Strategic Planning Working Group included William H. Crown, PhD, Chair; Josephine Mauskopf, PhD, MHA; Daniel C. Malone, RPh, PhD; Adrian Towse, MA, MPhil; Lou Garrison, PhD; Maarten J Ijzerman, PhD; Richard J Willke, PhD; Nancy Berg; and Christina Darnowski.