Published Jan 2010
Mycka JM, Dellamano R, Kolassa EM, et al. Good research practices for measuring drug costs in cost-effectiveness analyses: an industry perspective: the ISPOR Drug Cost Task Force Report-part V. Value Health. 2010;13(1):25-27.
Objectives: The industry perspective on drug costs should be framed by
the need for decision-makers to use actual and relevant costs, and to
inform real-world decisions regarding medication selection and use. The
objective of this report is to provide guidance and recommendations on
how manufacturers should approach the use of drug costs.
Methods: The Task Force was appointed with the advice and consent of
the ISPOR Board of Directors. Members were experienced developers or
users of drug cost information working in academia and industry, and
came from several countries. Following the core assumptions developed
and outlined by the Task Force, a draft report was prepared. Comments
were solicited on the outline and several draft reports both from a core
group of external reviewers and more broadly from the ISPOR membership
of ISPOR via the ISPOR Web site.
Results: The industry should always strive for: 1) a focus on drug value
and not just cost; 2) credibility—that is correct and consistent costs; 3)
transparency—by disclosing the prices and costs, and ensuring that they
reflect the actual cost of the drug whenever possible; and 4) providing
actionable results that help customers comprehend the value offered by a
drug therapy and to use products more efficiently and effectively.
Conclusions: Understanding and accounting for all costs and consequences
of the use of a medical treatment is in the best interests of all
parties involved in the prescribing, consuming, reimbursement, selling,
and manufacturing of bio/pharmaceuticals. Transparency, consistency,
and clear communication of costs and value are essential for appropriate
decision-making and should be important goals for all parties.
Keywords: cost study, drug cost, industry, pharmacoeconomic.
Full ContentLog In to View Report
- Good Research Practices for Measuring Drug Costs in Cost Effectiveness Analyses: Issues and Recommendations - ISPOR drug cost task force report - Part I
- Good Research Practices for Measuring Drug Costs in Cost-Effectiveness Analyses: A Societal Perspective - ISPOR drug cost task force report - Part II
- Good Research Practices for Measuring Drug Costs in Cost-Effectiveness Analyses: A Managed Care Perspective - ISPOR drug cost task force report - Part III
- Good Research Practices for Measuring Drug Costs in Cost-Effectiveness Analyses: Medicare, Medicaid and US Government Payers Perspectives ISPOR drug cost task force report - Part IV
- Good Research Practices for Measuring Drug Costs in Cost-Effectiveness Analyses: An International Perspective - ISPOR drug cost task force report - Part VI