Welcome to the May 2010 edition of the ISPOR eBulletin. The ISPOR eBULLETIN provides updates of
recent ISPOR activities and events. For detailed information on ISPOR
activities, members are encouraged to go to: www.ispor.org.
2010 ISPOR Board of Directors Election Results
The following ISPOR members were elected to the 2010-2011 ISPOR Board of Directors:
President-elect: Mark Sculpher PhD, MSc, Professor, University of York, Centre for Health Economics, Heslington, York, UK
Director: Bong-Min Yang PhD, Professor, Health Economics, School of Public Health, Seoul National University, Seoul, S. Korea
Director: Federico Augustovski MD, MSc, Director, Health Economic Evaluation and Technology Assessment, Institute for Clinical Effectiveness and Health Policy, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Director: Kati Copley-Merriman MS, MBA, Global Head, Regulatory & Health Outcomes Strategy, RTI-HS, Ann Arbor, MI USA
Director: Johan (Hans) L. Severens PhD, Professor of Evaluation in Health Care, Institute of Health Policy and Management, Erasmus University Rotterdam, The Netherlands
ISPOR Scientific Awards
The ISPOR Awards Program is designed to foster and recognize excellence and outstanding technical achievements in pharmacoeconomics and outcomes research. The 15th Annual International Meeting will recognize this year’s awardees at the ISPOR Awards Program immediately following the Second Plenary Session on Tuesday, May 18, 2010.
ISPOR Scientific Achievement Awards »
ISPOR 15th Annual International Meeting
Atlanta, GA, USA
Over 2100 already registered; on-site registration available! Top notch plenary sessions on personalized medicine; health care decision maker panel; adaptive trial design; and more! For more information, please see:
ISPOR 15th Annual International Meeting »
ISPOR 4th Asia-Pacific Conference, Phuket, Thailand
To view updated workshops, issues panels, and podium session presentations, please see:
ISPOR 4th Asia-Pacific Conference »
ISPOR 13th Annual European Congress Prague, Czech Republic
DEADLINE FOR ABSTRACT SUBMISSION: 22 June 2010
Online abstract submission open, submit now!
ISPOR 13th Annual European Congress »
Value in Health Early View Articles
48 Early View articles are available on-line, including 11 new articles added in the last month.
Value in Health Early View articles »
Value in Health Volume 13, Issue 3 On-Line
Value in Health Volume 13, Issue 3 is now available on-line.
Value in Health Volume 13, Issue 3 »
ISPOR CONNECTIONS Volume 16, Issue 2 Now On-Line
ISPOR CONNECTIONS Volume 16, Issue 2 »
ISPOR CONNECTIONS March/April 2010 is now available on-line.
ISPOR Indonesia Regional Chapter
The ISPOR Indonesia Regional Chapter was established on March 25, 2010.
ISPOR Indonesia Regional Chapter »
ISPOR Brazil Regional Chapter
The ISPOR Brazil Chapter is proud to announce its 3rd ISPOR Brazil Chapter Conference, 5-7 August 2010 in São Paulo, Brazil. For information, please see:
ISPOR Brazil Regional Chapter »
ISPOR FORUMS AT 15th Annual International Meeting
The following ISPOR forums will be presented by ISPOR Special Interest Groups (SIG) and Task Forces held at the ISPOR 15th Annual International Meeting on Monday, May 17, 2010.
• ISPOR Good Research Practices For Implementing FDA’S Guidance For Industry Patient Reported Outcome Measures: Use In Medical Product Development To Support Labeling Claims
For complete form descriptions, please see: ISPOR 15th Annual International Meeting Forums »
• Issues And Challenges In The Development And Reimbursement Of Personalized Medicine: How Can Health Economics And Outcomes Research Help?
• Moving Forward With HTA For Medical Devices & Diagnostic Products! The ISPOR Global Health Care Systems Road Map
• Good Research Practices For Comparative Effectiveness Research And Use Of Indirect Treatment Comparisons In Health Care Decisions
• Compliance Issues And Why Measurement And Analysis Are Important
• Defining Your Career Path - From Strategic Job Search Skills To Decision Making
• Reforms In Drug Supply In Russia: What's New?
• How To Provide The Proper Access For Innovative Treatment To The Patients?: A Perspective From Russia And Poland
Educator’s Tool Kit
The ISPOR Educator's Tool Kit catalogues useful teaching resources for the International Pharmacoeconomics Educator. To access the ISPOR Educator's Tool Kit, go to the ISPOR homepage and click on the Education tab on the purple toolbar and select Educator's Tool Kit.
August 16-18, 2010
Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA
Learn research in the newly funded area of comparative effectiveness studies.
Register Today! Visit: www.hsph.harvard.edu/ccpe/MDA or call: 617-384-8692
Upon completion of this program, participants will be able to:
- Evaluate the usefulness of outcomes measures and the application of new technologies for your organization
- Synthesize findings from various health outcomes research studies
- Compare the effectiveness of different treatments for the same illness
- Provide solid evidence for the value of specific treatments
- Conceptually define the meaning and purpose of outcomes research
- Understand the role of epidemiology, health economics, psychometrics, and biostatistics in conducting outcomes research
- Recognize the different types of measures used in outcomes research, including: clinical, health status, quality-of-life, work/role and health care utilization, and patient satisfaction
- Adopt new methods for modeling patient responses
- Interpret the meaning of statistical measurement concepts, such as reliability, validity, responsiveness, sensitivity, and power
- Obtain a basic appreciation of the statistical analysis appropriate for outcomes research, including the analysis of longitudinal and categorical data
Improving your analytical and quantitative understanding and skills can greatly enhance the quality of health outcomes research at your organization.
Group Discounts Available: Receive a 15% discount on each full tuition when three employees from the same organization register for a program. Receive a 20% discount when four or more colleagues register. That means, when you participate with four colleagues, a fifth colleague can attend tuition free! Let this excellent professional development opportunity serve as a team building experience for you and your colleagues. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 617.384.8692 for more information.
What Participants Are Saying:
95% of participants rated the overall program as meeting or exceeding their expectations
“Very valuable, up-to-date content. This program was quite applicable to both my specific focus and that of the greater organization in which I work." – Michael Meldahl, Global Health Outcomes, Eli Lilly & Company
"The faculty members were adept in their fields and articulate in their communication of the program material."— Harvey Goldberg, MD, Medical Director, New York City Employees Retirement System
CME and CEU Credits Available. For a detailed agenda or to register, visit: www.hsph.harvard.edu/ccpe/MDA or call (617) 384-8692. Please be sure to mention your Reference Code: MDA10-IP03 in all correspondence.
This program is recognized by the Society for Risk Analysis.
EFCC-Labs are Vital Award for Excellence in Outcomes Research in Laboratory Medicine
EFCC and Labs are Vital™ are pleased to announce the EFCC-Labs Are Vital Award for Excellence in Outcomes Research in Laboratory Medicine, sponsored by Abbott. The Award will be given to the best published paper, as judged by an independent panel of experts, which demonstrated improved outcomes (clinical and/or economic) arising out of the application or improved utilisation of an in-vitro diagnostics test.
The award is launched at EuROMEdLAb 2009 in Innsbruck, and will be presented for the first time at IFCC/Euromedlab 2011 in Berlin. Thereafter it will be awarded every two years at an EFCC conference. The Award will consist of a certificate and the sum of 15,000 Euro.
For criteria and submission procedure please visit us at: