Introduction to Pharmacoeconomics
Faculty - Renée JG Arnold PharmD, RPh
This module is an introduction to the role of pharmacoeconomics (PE) in medical decision making from multiple perspectives. It will introduce the concepts of types of PE/Cost-effectiveness analysis (CEA), general computation involved in these analyses, and how to evaluate a CEA.
By the end of the Introduction to Pharmacoeconomics (PE) module, you will be able to:
- State the role of PE in medical decision making.
- Define the types of PE/cost-effectiveness analyses (CEA) .
- Explain the societal, patient and payer tradeoffs involved in using PE for medical decision making.
- Understand the difference between and usefulness of average and incremental (marginal) CEA.
- State the definition of utility measurement and its use in cost-utility analysis.
- Understand the elements essential to a published CEA.