Health-Related Quality of Life (HRQOL) – Basics
Faculty - Jan D. Hirsch PhD
This module will provide a basic understanding of the concept of health related quality of life (HRQOL) for participants with little to no knowledge of the topic. The content will place HRQOL into context with other clinical and economic outcomes measures and provide an overview of the scientific standards required for an HRQOL instrument to provide useful results. Examples from the published literature will be used extensively to exemplify concepts throughout the module. At the end of the module a short case study will be used to illustrate how HRQOL data can enhance clinical decision making.
By the end of the Health-Related Quality of Life (HRQOL) - Basics module, you will be able to:
- Understand the concept of Health related Quality of Life as an important patient reported outcome.
- Define the common domains of HRQOL.
- Identify the types of HRQOL instruments and know the advantages and disadvantages of each.
- Understand the psychometric properties that should be evaluated before using a HRQOL instrument.
- Understand how HRQOL data can be used to inform decision making.