Dr. Valverde graduated from the University of Seville in 1991 with a degree in medicine and surgery. He specialised in Emergency and Casualty Medicine (1993) and Family and Community Medicine (2012).
He works at the European Commission, DG-CNECT, Unit H.3 eHealth, Wellbeing and Ageing as Policy & Programme Officer, based in Luxembourg. Currently Team Leader of the “1 Million Genomes” Initiative, PO for 8 H2020 funded research projects and Topic Coordinator for Call SC1-DTH-11-2019. Dr. Valverde is also an active member of the European Advisory Committee on Health Research (EACHR) of WHO-Europe.
- Director of the Andalusian Agency for Health Technology Assessment (2000-2004);
- International & Research Advisor at the Cabinet of the Andalusia Regional Minister for Health (2004-2006);
- Scientific Officer at the European Commission Joint Research Centre (2006-2009);
- Director General of the Spanish National Centre for Accessibility Technologies (2010-2011); and
- Andalusian Regional Health Department as senior emergency & casualty physician, coordinator, regulator and researcher (2011-2018, 1995-2000).
Dr Valverde´s research has focused on eHealth including Personal Health Systems, Health 2.0, mHealth, and European healthcare systems enabled through Information Society Technologies. Another related research line is on accessibility technologies for active and healthy ageing.